Sunday, January 10, 2010

Traditiiiiiooooooonnnnnssss!!!!!!!!!!

No, I haven't been watching "Fiddler on the Roof" lol. Although I'd like to see somebody perform it! My freshman year, Christian Heritage College did an amazing job with it! During church today, Pastor Chris was dsicussing different "roofs we need to take off". (Taken from the story about the friends who tore off the roof above Jesus so they could lower their paralyzed friend down to be healed) He was saying that holding to traditions is one of them. Man made traditions need to be let go of so that we aren't hindering our growth in Christ. I don't know how I like that. Some traditions are so wonderful! Take "The hanging of the Greens" for example. This is done, normally in Baptist churches haha, the first sunday in December. The entire church helps decorate the sanctuary and it's a big production type thing. Normally it's the youth who decorate, but it's while the Children's Program for Christmas is going and the choir sings and then there's special music....ya! It's all really awesome. I mentioned this to Pastor Chris just after Christmas, wondering why we, a baptist church, don't hold this tradition. He had never heard of it. (He doesn't like baptists...and apparently still hasn't realized he's the lead pastor of a baptist church lol) So I feel like he said that for the benefit of people like me. I don't think, however, that the traditions I love so much are hindering me or others from having a closer relationship with Christ. Perhaps I am too blinded by my love of them haha.

Thoughts? Do any of you have specific traditions you like or dislike? (Not just in the church)

1 comment:

Dionne said...

I think that traditions that bring people together are awesome.

One of our yearly Christmas Traditions are to pull out the Christmas Crackers on Christmas Day. You play it with the person next to you at the table, and then each pull and end, and whoever gets the prize wins. I love it, it's a lot of fun!