Friday, April 1, 2011

Garden!

Hello Blogger Friends, I've started a garden! It's so exciting I forgot to blog about it! For an entire month! Also, life has ben very busy so, no real free time for blogging. In any case, I've sown Garden Beans, Basil, Peppers, Chilis, Canteloupe, Broccoli, and Lettuce! I can't wait to see how they do. :) I love the idea of growing my own food in my own backyard. There's something to be said about being able to feed your family despite the kind of economic condition we may live in. (Or maybe I'm just a control freak? haha.) I am not anticipating a particularly favorable crop, as I am NOT a girl of colored thumbs. However, I am putting my best thumb forward, and hoping for at least a bit of edible goodies.



Basil, here. :) I am known in my family as the basil killer...for real, I can't keep it alive!


So we'll see.....


Next pictured is the broccoli. Now after I bought this plant, I read that broccoli is more of a winter plant, growing better in cooler temperatures, so this growing season I'm just going to see how it grows, at what pace, and what pruning will do for it.







My husby made this garden box for me! He mixed the entire box with regular dirt and potting soil, with plastic underneath to keep out weeds. What a swell guy ;) From left to right, Cantelope, Garden Beans, Garden Beans, Peppers, Lettuce, Chili. (Yes, there are two rows of Garden Beans)



The whole gang! Fenced in to keep Ricky-the-nosiest-kid-around out! Sorry about the lighting in the pictures. My phone is amazing, but I have no real manual capabilities.




So this is week one! Can't wait to share the weeks ahead. :)
-Heather




No comments: